If you would like to publish a book with the Naval Institute Press, please submit either a proposal and/or completed manuscript. Manuscripts and proposals should be formatted in 12-point, Times New Roman font. Manuscripts and sample chapters should also have numbered pages, be single-sided and double spaced, and any submission should include a cover letter and complete contact information (an address, a phone number, and an email address).
When submitting a completed manuscript, cover letters should include a word count, relevant biographical information, an estimated number of images, and a short summary or explanation of your work.
In addition to a cover letter and your contact information, all proposals should include:
- a narrative description (tell us what you intend to write)
- an outline (show us the anticipated structure of your work)
- anticipated word count (keep in mind that too long gets too expensive, but too short is not likely to adequately cover your subject-a good target for an average length book is about 100,000 words)
- your history of publication (articles, books you have had published, if any) and any relevant credentials (degrees, positions held, etc.)
- the potential market (who will buy this book)
- a discussion of the competition (describe what has been done before on the subject and include some commentary as to how yours will be different or how it will complement those existing works)
- time frame (how long do you think it will take you to write this proposed book)
- sample chapters (not required, but if any are completed these are helpful to the editors evaluating your proposal)
To submit your work digitally, please send your cover letter in the body of an email to [email protected]. Please ensure all text files are compatible with Microsoft word.
When submitting your work physically, please ensure your submission is printed, single sided, on 8 ½” x 11” paper. Include all the requested documentation. Because it is cost-prohibitive to return each unsolicited submission, editor’s will not return any work without a self-addressed prepaid envelop. Do not include anything with your submission you wish to have returned. This includes flash drives and original copies of documents or photos. All mail should be sent to:
Naval Institute Press
291 Wood Road
Annapolis, MD 21402
A member of our acquisitions team will review the project and get back to you in a timely manner. Please be aware that, due to the large number of book proposals and manuscripts we receive each day, it is not uncommon for the evaluation process to take several months.